Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Finally, a businessman who gets it.

When I set out to have an environmental discussion this week, I had in mind that I wanted to discuss the issue with someone who had an opposing view on most environmental issues. The assignment was to listen as much as you talked. I wanted the opportunity to really sit down and think about the points made by those who are not as environmentally conscious.
I enlisted the help of my friend Dan, who is a business major. He believes in big business and making money. He has openly proclaimed that the ends justify the means in regards to money. I thought that I had my work cut out for me in calmly listening. We started our discussion on Saturday during the blazing heat, and of course he wanted to probe me regarding issues of global warming and sporadic temperatures. He started the discussion by stating that global warming is not as castastrophic as some claim, but that he did agree that there is something to be said of temperatures varying from 40 degrees to 90 degrees in the span of less than a week. We then accurately discussed the causes of global warming, both of us agreeing on the science. I then asked him what he believed the solution the problem to be. He remained silent for a few minutes, grimacing at me, you could read his thought process and frustration on his face. Though he was not an environmentalist in the least, he understood the complications of the problem. He then went on to say that government regulation has been ineffective thus far, and that big change lies with the weight big businesses. However, in his opinion big businesses will never jump on board unless they is something in it for them.
I was pleased with that answer. Even though he the epitome of the business type, he understands the weight of the issue and believes the science. Although the issue isn’t his biggest concern, he understands why people are worried. Moreover, I was thoroughly impressed that he seemed as disgruntled as I am with the daunting task of trying to fix of the earth’s environmental issues.

No comments:

Post a Comment