Monday, February 16, 2009

Week 3

1. My best experience with the non-human world was probably as a child when I would climb the big pine tree in the backyard. The branches were just high enough to prevent my little sister from following me, and I would go climb, read, or just sit around and think. Eventually I had the courage to climb the whole way to the top and I found an owl's nest. I didn't get close enough to disturb it, but it was an interesting discovery. T wouldn't characterize the experience as thrilling so much as peaceful, and, even though I don't climb trees anymore, being in nature during a nice day is a great way for me to relieve stress.

2. I'm not convinced by our ability to "save nature" through deliberate actions. We are part of nature, and we have a responsibility to reduce our impact on displacement. However, as discussed in the readings this week, collecting a few members of a threatened species, placing them in a conservation zone, and vowing not to touch them isn't particularly natural either.

No comments:

Post a Comment