Monday, March 23, 2009

1. What, exactly, do you think about when you make food choices? Do you have environmental considerations in mind? Or other stuff? 2. Take a few moments to consider everything you've eaten in the last day or two. Of the food or beverage items you've consumed, which, in your estimation, has had the greatest environmental impact? Why?

1. I usually pick food based upon some amount of reverance to the USDA's food pyramid but with a lot of personal taste thrown in for good measure. Cost is also a major factor because I don't have much money for food. I do consider the environment when buying food, especially when it comes to picking local options when available and organic when it is reasonably priced. I do not eat as much meat as I used to, mostly because I have seen first hand how most meat is farmed very unsustainably. I no longer eat seafood I have not caught myself because of environmental reasons. I try to buy at farmers' markets when I have the time to attend them. I wish there was a closer co-op grocery store to campus.

2. I think the can of vanilla coke I drank yesterday had the most environmental impact. The water is from a source hundreds of miles away in Atlanta. The high fructose corn syrup is probably derived from a GMO monocrop of maize from the midwest. The aluminum can takes considerable energy to produce, some of which can be made up for by recycling. Considering the purpose of the can of pop is mostly hydration, which can be met with simple tap water, from an environmental perspective it is a luxury item. I should probably just cut pop out of my diet altogether for nutritional and financial reasons. My environmental impact will also be lowered because of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment