Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Environmental Unconsciously

Grocery store choices:
I certainly do not think at all about the environmental impact of my grocery store choices when I am shopping, but after watching the video this afternoon, I think my choices are more environmentally conscious than most alternatives. I usually consider health impacts, ease of preparation, and the taste of things, but I prefer light Mediterranean or Asian cooking to more traditional American food. I don't like prepared, frozen foods, and I generally shop the perimeter of the store buying mostly nuts, fruits and vegetables. I also buy a lot of beans, lentils and soy products, not for environmental reasons but because they are tasty, cheep, and really quick and easy to prepare and store. I am not vegan, but I don't eat that much meat or dairy on a regular basis.

Beverages:
I mostly stick to water, tea, and coffee. I don't drink soda or sugary fruit juices, but on occasion, I do drink alcohol. For me, that's probably the most environmentally harmful. Wine is probably not too bad because there are relatively few additives and process that go into its production, but the distilled liquor like gin and vodka require more energy.

No comments:

Post a Comment