Monday, March 23, 2009

Food, Glorious Food

When I make choices about the food I consume, I think about health, price, and the environment. Since coming to college, I have made a pointed effort of trying to eat a balanced diet. When I shop for groceries, I go to Whole Foods or Safeway, and always look at the ingredient labels. Like Brittany said, sometimes a product is marketed as healthy, but really is not. In the dining hall, I always take home (steal) a few pieces of fruit for breakfast the next day or snack. When I have time and a little extra money, I go to farmer's markets for locally grown and organic food.

I have been trying to slowly cut meat out of my diet for the past month or so, but the hamburger I ate a few days ago probably had the highest environmental impact. Meat production is one of the biggest contributors to global warming in the United States. Carbon dioxide, methane, and nitrous oxide emissions generated from raising animals for food is more than all greenhouse gases produced by transportation in the world combined. I think it is quite feasible for many people concerned about the environment to become vegetarians, if not vegans. Cutting meat out of your diet has a greater impact than switching to a hybrid car.

No comments:

Post a Comment