Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Wait I can't put ketchup on my organic scrambled eggs?

After last week’s class I went straight to my room to sort through my food to see what I could eat for the next week. I found four items out of probably 20 or so. That’s when I began to realize the impact of corn. The four items were oatmeal, whole grain pasta, organic yogurt, and bananas.I love food so I was really excited to be forced to make good decisions and excited to cook meals. After finding few items in my room that I could eat, I decided to go to whole foods. I stocked up on organic, veggie fed, free range chicken eggs, organic yogurt, lots of fresh fruits and vegetables, hummus, more oatmeal, organic pasta sauce, and quinoa.
The first few days went really well, I found myself being more energized and feeling better. I was enjoying the food that I was eating and I had to be conscious on how to prepare the food. However, I was constantly hungry. I found that 6 small meals were in order to keep my stomach from constantly yelling at me.
I managed to be diligent all week. Although I had one minor slip up. I had a piece of Starburst candy. At a meeting, a bowl of candy was going around and without even thinking twice about it I ate the Starburst. After eating it, I chastised myself for not thinking before I ate.
This week of no corn helped me grasp how dependent our society is on corn. Also, I learned to be more aware of what foods I consume. I find now that I’m constantly questioning what’s goes into the food I’m eating and where it came from.

No comments:

Post a Comment