Monday, March 30, 2009

A week without corn...almost

I was surprised that this week was not as difficult as I anticipated. I figured it would be nearly impossible because basically everything has corn in it, but if you take the time to prepare meals from natural ingredients, it’s completely possible. Cooking is a hobby for me, so having to prepare all of my meals was not too challenging, just slightly more time consuming.

I did cheat a couple of times, however. I refused to give up washing my hair, brushing my teeth, or taking my daily medication. I also was stuck on campus all day Monday necessitating the consumption of prepared foods available here which I am sure all contain some sort of corn product. Also, I had a breakdown on Thursday night in which I was desperate for some junk food, so I ate a cookie.

One surprising discovery, which is a little gross and personal, I’ll share anyway because maybe someone else experienced this as well. Although preparing meals was not too hard, finding viable snacks to eat between meals was challenging. My go-to option for the week was chopped raw vegetables with hummus or a piece of fruit. I started getting really bad indigestion, and after a little reading on the web, I learned that this was a really common problem for people switching for the fashionable raw foods diet. Basically, the way we eat now has depleted our intestinal enzymes and ability to digest these foods. I had to start blanching all of my veggies just to avoid the pain of healthy eating! Although I don't plan to cut corn completely out of my diet, I think I walk away from this experience much more aware of the difficulties in avoiding preservatives and how to avoid excessive quantities. I won't criticize the eating habits of others, but I, for one, do not want to be putting so many of these additives into my body

No comments:

Post a Comment